some things I have made from scratch

I try to make things from scratch. Sometimes it’s great. Other times it's a disaster. Here are some tips and tricks that I learned when making food so you don’t have to make my mistakes. 

  1. When making a berry crumble, make sure you are using flour and not powdered sugar. It creates a sticky berry syrup thing.

  2. The sticky berry syrup thing was great with ice cream.

  3. The sticky berry syrup thing was terrible to get out of the pan so even though it tasted good, 10/10 don’t mix up flour and sugar.

  4. When making mayo don’t use extra virgin olive oil. It makes it very bitter. Use avocado oil.

  5. When making mayo, if it is too bitter, add lemon. I know weird concept, but it takes away from the oil bitterness. 

  6. Make sure you like meringues before you make them. I spent hours making the perfect peeks in the batter and making the cute little meringue shapes just to try them later and find out I don’t like meringues.

  7. When making banana bread or any bread, make sure to read the recipe and not ignore the part when it mentions the baking tin. Because in my head I thought yes bread meant bread tin when in fact the recipe made way too much batter for a bread tin and needed a 9”x13” pan so all my batter overflowed into the oven. Read. Please.

  8. A lot of my problems could be solved by following the recipe and not freestyling.

  9. Melted butter will cook your eggs. Mix in egg to flour and sugar mixture then add melted butter. Egg straight into melted butter means cooked egg in your cake.

  10. Not my mistake but my sisters. 1 teaspoon of salt is very different than 1 tablespoon of salt. The difference is edible cookies.

  11. FLOUR YOUR ADDINGS. Chocolate chip muffins. Toss the chocolate chips in flour before mixing. Blueberry scones. Toss the blueberries in flour before mixing. They will stick to your pan a lot less.

  12. There’s like little strainers for things like powdered sugar so you can finely sprinkle cakes with them. Use that when squeezing lemon into your batters. It catches the seeds and you don’t have to try to pick them out of your batter.

I love cooking and baking but mess-ups can be stressful. It is always good to remember that there’s most likely a way to salvage it. I have messed up so many times and I just pull out my found and search up what is wrong. So many people have made the same mistakes and write about how to fix them. Don’t ger discouraged because you can always try next time and now you know.


Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing these tips! I definitely make mistakes too when it comes cooking from scratch. I really liked your tip about making mayo and including lemon to help with the bitterness. l only really make certain items from scratch like sauces and other baked goods.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Never Hated Food

Ew Salad

carrot juice is a weird concept