Everything is fixed with a cookie

Cookies fix everything. Some of my best memories surround cookies. I feel like cookies and just desserts in general get a bad rap. In moderation, sugar is fine. You are allowed to have a cookie. You are allowed to treat yourself. I think people forget that a lot.

Growing up I was at my grandparents' house a lot. Every night after dinner I was allowed a cookie or ice cream. This is moderation. I remember sitting in the old recliner with a Jewel Osco chocolate chip cookie watching Sprout and listening to Nina and Star wish us a good night. My days always ended the same. I liked the control and routine.

We also make lots of Christmas cookies. We spend all day just baking loads of different cookies. And then we give them out to our friends and family. It brings people together. I have been baking with my aunts, mom, and grandma for as long as I can remember. Every year we do the same routine. When me and my cousin were little we actually got into the caramel while it was still at room temperature and spread it everywhere. Same routine but with some chaos. A few years ago my grandma’s oven broke so she brought over all her ingredients and pots and pans to our house (even though we have pans too). It was really nice to bake with her one-on-one and then be able to cook dinner together. I don’t see her as much as I used to due to being away at school so I cherish the time I have with her and the memories we make. 

I now get to pass on our traditions to my nieces. We are always making them baking kits for their birthdays and getting them cookie cutters. Whenever they come over we make cookies together. It is a little more stressful and takes a little longer but they love it and I love how happy it makes them to have control over what they make. They get to have a say in the decision-making. 

Baking is how our family says I love you. Whenever we get into arguments someone usually offers to cook for the other or cook with the other. Food is definitely a love language in our family.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Never Hated Food

Ew Salad

carrot juice is a weird concept